If you are serious about creating maps for your campaign, I strongly recommend picking up the entire line of ProFantasy products (at least: Campaign Cartographer, Dungeon Designer, City Designer, and Fractal Terrains) and taking the time to learn them. Also, the forums at ProFantasy and Cartographer’s Guild are filled with experienced mappers and tons of tips.
Here are a few tutorials that I have written. I hope to add to this section regularly.
- Getting Started with Fractal Terrains
- Basic Editing
- Prescale Offset Editing
- Removing Inland Seas
- Flattening Mountains
- Re-Shaping Continents
Hereafter a few FT3 tutorials I did years ago. You may still find them useful, but they are also problematic as well. Hopefully, I’ll have time soon to go back and revise them.
Joe Sweeney YouTube Videos
- Setting Up Your Mapping Environment (3 videos)
- Sheets & Effects (6 videos)
- How To Make a Map For Your Fantasy Games (15 videos)
- Make Battlemap Tiles For D&D Minis (3 videos)
- The Crypt: An Advanced Battlemap Tile Tutorial (7 videos)
- Create Stunning Dungeon Maps For D&D Pathfinder (8 videos)
- Map An Entire Fantasy World Using Fractal Terrains (3 videos)
- Interactive Mapping Technologies (3 videos)
- Mapping Star Systems (3 videos)
- Starship Design For Beginners (2 videos)
Tutorials by Other Authors
Here are a few tutorials that I have found useful.