Once again, I’ve been away for a very long time. I may not quite be back yet, but I am on my way. Thank you to all those who have inquired as to my whereabouts, sent their kind words, as well as their donations, and those that have sent me messages and emails during my absence. I’m sorry that I have not responded, or posted, these past few months, but I appreciate your thoughtfulness. You have all lifted my spirits greatly during my convalescence.

What Happened

A number of months ago, I fell in the shower and hurt my hip. It wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been. In fact, it wasn’t until the next day that I actually knew anything was wrong. But, day after day, it continued to get worse. Convinced that it couldn’t be anything serious, I waited. As the pain increased, I self-medicated with various pain killers. I took it easy sitting in my chair, watching TV with a heating pad wrapped around my hip.

After about two months, I was convinced that something more serious than I first thought must have happened. I couldn’t sit, stand, or even lay in bed comfortably (even pumped full of meds). I called the doctor, who said that given my description it was unlikely that I had actually broken anything and, instead, I had probably just “bruised” the bones in my hip and pulled some muscles. As minor as that sounds, he said it was normal for such an injury to be extremely painful, take a very long time to heal, and that there was nothing to do but wait it out.

I thought that two months was already an inordinate amount of time, but he said that wasn’t unusual. In addition, diabetes makes every injury take forever to heal. I knew that was true with cuts and infections (that is part of why so many diabetics end up having their feet amputated), but it never occurred to me that it would apply to bone and muscle injuries as well.

It turns out that there was actually a bit more to it, and had he done some imaging (or had I called sooner), this all might have healed more quickly. But that is a long and boring addendum to what is already a long and boring post, so I’ll just say “Don’t wait. Call your doctor as soon as you are hurt”.

It wasn’t until four full months had passed that I was able to sit or sleep comfortably. By this time, so many chores and other duties had backed up that all the time I could manage was spent catching up on the time I had spent recuperating. It has been another month now, and I’m finally starting to feel like I’m back in control of my life.

Not Quite Back Yet

There are still more things left to do, especially with the holidays upon us. So, my time isn’t really my own just yet.

In addition, I need to break myself of an online addiction, before I can get back to regular posting. When I couldn’t do anything else, I fell back to on-line gaming. I’ve been playing Star Sonata (a truly mediocre sci-fi game, which I am inexplicably drawn towards). For some reason, I have never been able to incorporate both sci-fi and fantasy into my life at the same time. So, I need to rid myself of this game before I can fully embrace my fantasy side.

Thank You Again

When I was sitting in a chair, suffering in pain and feeling sorry for myself, it was wonderful to log on to the computer and receive a message from people: asking where I was, telling me how they were enjoying the blog (even though I hadn’t tended to it in months), and saying that they missed me and hoped I would be back soon. Your comments and good wishes did wonders to raise my spirits at a time when I really needed that.

Thank you!